from the blogspot
Saint John's Lodge is the oldest continuously operating
English Constituted Masonic Lodge in the Canadian Province of Newfoundland
and Labrador. The Brethren of Saint John's Lodge have been holding
consecutive meetings, officially, since November 29, 1848. At that time
they were operating under special Dispensation from The Grand Lodge of
Nova Scotia. On June 5th, 1850 the Lodge received a new Charter from the
United Grand Lodge of England, bearing the Lodge No. 844. This Charter did
provide acknowledgement of the earlier re-establishment of the same Lodge
in 1848. In 1863, the United Grand Lodge of England renumbered its Lodges.
Saint John's Lodge No. 844, became Saint John's Lodge No. 579. On June 10,
1998 Saint John's Lodge No. 579 was issued a new Charter and renamed,
Saint John's Lodge No.1 under the Registry of the newly consecrated Grand
Lodge of Newfoundland & Labrador (November 1, 1997).